If you’re a beauty junkie like me, then you’ll probably have at least some form of makeup collection. Whether you like to stick to a small kind of capsule collection or you absolutely love collecting makeup, so much so that you’ve accumulated a huge collection over the years, you’re probably going to need somewhere to store your collection and keep it as organised and tidy as possible. I’ve got a series of ideas to share with you in which you can store your makeup to suit whatever needs you might possibly have and that are more on the budget friendly kind of side.
1. Draws – Now if you’re familiar with the brand, Ikea, then you’ll probably be aware of their ‘Alex’ drawer range that quite a few beauty lovers go for to keep all things beauty inside. Me being one of them #guilty. I can definitely see why they live up to the hype. Not only are they super stylish looking, but they also are so good value for money. The quality of them is so good and I love how much room each draw has. You can either go for the 5 draw that comes with 3 small drawers and two bigger ones for £50 or the 9 draws with five small draws and 9 bigger ones for £90. Of course, there are other brands which do similiar style draws that you can use. All you really need is a chest of draws that suit your style, budget and needs. There’s a whole range out there. Great places to look include Agros, Wilko and Dunelm.
The only cons to using draws to store your makeup in would be the lack of display that comes with this style of storage. You won’t be able to see any products, particularly any luxurious ones that are worthy of display and you also have to take into account your spending funds. Some places are quite pricey when it comes to furniture, so if you are going to splash the catch, then ensure you pick a piece that is going to be of great quality and going to be used for a long period of time.
2. Dressing table – Another style of furniture you could go for as your makeup storage is a dressing or vanity table. Not only are these great for organising your makeup, but they’re also a piece to use as the place you go to every morning to put on your makeup. I also think they scream femininity and you can style them to make them look really lovely within your room space. Most vanity’s come with drawers included, so you can pop your collection into there or display other smaller sized storage on top of the vanity. Again you’ll have to take the price into consideration as furniture is expensive. But I think it’s a great investment piece not just for storing makeup. It’s worth mention again that Ikea is a great place to look. Not only is it affordable, but you can pretty much find exactly what you want on there. Malm is a great shout. Other places to have a look at are Argos, Dunelm, Marks & Spencer and The Range.
Any downsides to having a dressing table as your main storage supply is probably minimal space. The draws in most vanity’s are pretty small and secluded, so if you have a big collection you might want to avoid using this as your primary place to store your makeup inside. Also a lack of display of products might turn you off if you want to show them off around your room.
3. Pots/Jars – If you’ve got a smaller collection, storing your makeup in pots or jars might be the perfect option for you. Whether you go for a glass, plastic or tinned option, ensure whatever style you go for goes with the rest of your room and is practical enough for your requirements. You can get jars and posts pretty much anywhere. The Range, Hobbycraft, Supermarkets, Ikea are just some of the places you might want to go to find your perfect pots or jars. Plus you can store other cosmetic tools inside these jars such as your makeup brushes, eyelash curlers, tweezers etc. If you wanted to do your own to save some extra pounds, then washing out any old food jars and using them is a great option. Also you could use any old candle jars or plant pots.
Downsides to this option is that it’s probably not advisable if you have quite a large collection of makeup. You might find it hard to find pots the right sizes for some of your makeup products.
4. Vanity trolley/cart – Another option to store your makeup in is a vanity trolley or cart. These are typically three tier trolleys with wheels on the bottom. This option is perfect for anyone who doesn’t have a lot of space and is always changing where they put on their makeup, whether that’s the bathroom or the bedroom. Plus you will be able to see all your makeup sat on the shelves, which means picking out products will be easy and you can still admire their beauty in whatever room they are based. This is probably more recommended for those with small-medium size collections. You’ll probably find these style of carts in the kitchen or bathroom sections of most stores. Ikea, Wayfair, Lakeland and Urban Outfitters supply these style of carts.
The only negatives might be a lack of space within the cart tiers for all your makeup products, so you might have to invest in another option alongside it. When wheeling your cart from room to room, some products may get damaged or break in the moving process.
5. A makeup bag – Probably more of one of the obvious options is storing your makeup inside a makeup bag. There are hundreds of makeup bags out there to choose from, you can find them in most high street stores and online retailers, like Boots, Superdrug, New Look, Topshop, H&M, ASOS etc. They’re also super travel friendly, so you can easily throw them into your bag and take them with you on the go or any long haul travels. This style of storage is probably more suited for those with smaller collections due to the lack of space.
The only problem with this one is that they do tend to get more on the messy side of things with products leaking and being tightly close together. This might be one to avoid if you don’t want to ruin any products and want to keep them neat and tidy elsewhere.
6. A case – When you think of makeup cases, you probably picture a makeup artist heading to her next photo shoot with all her makeup for her clients shut up inside a big large case. You can easily use this idea for your own makeup collection. This is a really good way to organise all your makeup with the use of the different sections inside. It will keep them extra clean and in a great condition It’s also very travel friendly, so if you find yourself moving around alot and like to bring a lot with you, then this could be perfect to suit all your needs. You could also add other cosmetic products inside like any skin or hair products. I would say this is probably more aimed at medium to larger sized collections. But I definitely it’s a great affordable buy if you invest in this style. You can find these in places like Argos and Amazon.
In my opinion, when it comes to using a case to store your makeup collection inside, I think it’s quite bulky and might be a bit too out of the way to store if you don’t have a lot of space or can’t fit it into your decor. It might not also suit any smaller collections and doesn’t give you the chance to keep it on display.
Acrylic draws – Apart from the Ikea Alex drawers, I would say this next one is another firm favourite with beauty lovers. Acrylic draws are a clear transparent organiser style draw set. You can literally find these in so many different stores these days. They’re originally from the Muji website, but other places like Tkmaxx, Primark, Ryman and Oliver Bonas also sell these style of drawers. What I love about these is that they not only are very practical, but they also look good and go with so many different room themes due to them being clear. You can also stack the draws up to meet your requirements and also add lipstick holders on top to keep your lip products stored well too. Whilst they are more recommended for those with smaller collections, you can easily use these to put on top of your vanity or other draw units for extra storage space if you have a larger collection.
How do you store your makeup?
Don’t forget to follow me here on Bloglovin and never miss a post!