It’s been three years since I left school. It’s probably also been the toughest three years of my life. Some of you probably have already left school years back so will be able to relate to this post in some way or another. Others might have only just now left or within the next year or so be leaving, having no idea what life is like outside of the school bubble and unaware of how much really does change once you’re out in the big wide word. Here are 10 things I wish I knew when I left school.
1. Make the right choice for you – Don’t feel like you have to do something just for the sake of it or because that’s what everyone else is doing. This is where I went wrong. I did something for the sake of it and really it wasn’t what I wanted. Know what’s right for you, what works best for you and what’s going to make you happy!
2. Don’t feel like you have to follow the crowd – In high school you’re considered ‘cool’ or ‘popular’ if you’re following the trends and doing what others are doing just to fit in to society. Once you’re out of there, you’ll soon realise that looking cool and fitting in is one big waste of time. No one really cares at the end of the day. Do what you love and love what you do.
3. Don’t compare your journey to someone else’s – We all have a bad habit of comparing ourselves and our lives to others. It’s human nature. But don’t compare how your life is out of high school to someone’s you use to go to school with. Everyone’s journey is different. Whether it’s a different path or a different length. Everyone does things differently. Appreciate and enjoy your own journey. Don’t even care what/how anyone else is doing but how YOU are!!!
4. Explore your options – There’s a whole load of opportunities out there! Again don’t feel like you have to do something for the sake of it or because everyone else is. School’s seem to drum it into your head that sixth form and university are the only options. They’re really not. You can easily become whatever you want to be with alternative routes.
5. Not everything goes how you expect it to/how you planned it to go – This one has been hard for me to understand. I thought everything would be so plain sailing once I left school. However it’s really not. It’s probably a lot harder. Nothing goes the way you envisioned it to and that’s ok. Sometimes it work’s out for the better. Other times it’s just one big lesson you learn from and you have to move forward.
6. Friend’s come and go – The friends you would have seen 5 days a week for the past 5 years won’t be around for much longer. You’ll drift from most people sadly. Unless you’re super lucky and stay close then that’s honestly so great! But most people you grow out of and you drift onto other things where you meet new people. Honestly that’s ok too!
7. You’ll grow up a lot (well some don’t…) – Leaving school opens you up to a whole new word of independence and maturity. As I said briefly, some don’t mature and don’t start acting their age. Cut these toxic people out of your life. But let’s hope you do. You’ll find yourself facing new challenges, having a load of responsibility and you’ll have to deal with situations in a mature way.
8. You’ll never really be prepared for the future – Again one I have had to accept and learn is that you’ll never really be prepared for the future. As harsh as that sounds, you have no idea where you’ll end up in five years. No one does. You can have a goal in place which is great, motivating and ambitious. But you never know what obstacles will come in your way and what you’ll have to work hard to over come. Don’t worry so much about the future. Whatever happens simply happens. Live life in the present!
9. Go beyond your comfort zone – In school I feel like I was most secure there because it was what I had been use to for years. Once I left I was suddenly hit with the unknown. But over time I’ve learnt that it’s ok to go beyond your comfort zone. Usually progress happens outside of this safety net we wrap ourselves up in. So get out there and go beyond!
10. The simplicity of high school life – You’ll really begin to realise how easy and carefree high school life was once you’ve left. It going’s to feel like everything once you’ve left school goes down hill because you’ve been stuck in that bubble for years and years. You’ll miss so much of it and regret not making the most of your time of that simple school routine.
What do you wish you would have known before you left school/after you left?
I know that leaving school made me realise A LOT of stuff.
Don’t forget to follow me here on Bloglovin and never miss a post!